Burn Unit

Sunday was an un-eventful birthday for Deeds.  We woke up late because Gwen didn’t sleep well the night before and decided to stay home from church and relax as a family.  Before bedtime Deeds asked for some mac and cheese.  Since he wouldn’t eat anything for dinner Jer went upstairs to make the mac and cheese with him.  A little while later I heard a crash, Jeremy said “oh no” and Deeds started to scream like I have never heard before.  I ran upstairs and saw Jer frantically ripping his clothes off of him and looked and saw the pot on the floor.  I realized very quickly that somehow the boiling water had ended up on his head (his daddy turned around for one second and still feels terrible).  We threw him into the tub and started soaking him with a room temp water, I got to his face last.  I called my parents and they came to our house and grabbed Gwen, I’m so thankful they only live a couple of minutes away.  We rushed to the emergency room and after a lot of morphine (more than should have been needed) JD calmed down enough for the doctors to be able to get a good look at him.  His entire face started to blister and seep and they couldn’t tell if the inside of his mouth or throat was burned so they transferred him up to the University of Utah Burn Unit by ambulance, lights and all.  There was a scary moment where they talked about using a helicopter and I’m so glad they didn’t because it might have panicked me a bit more than I already was.

I was able to ride in the back with JD and daddy followed us in the car.  By the time we got to the burn unit Deeds had become best friends with the paramedics and thought the lights and sirens were awesome.  I could tell that the morphine was helping him a lot but his face just started looking worse and worse.

Once we got here they had a whole team prepped and decided he had burns over about 15% of his body but thankfully all of them were only first degree burns with the exception of his blistering face.  There was concern about one of his eyes and his respiratory system but after some checking they both look like they will be ok.  After more morphine they cleaned his face and scraped it.  It was terrible to watch them just pull the skin off, it broke my heart.  Once it was all over he was such a chatty little guy.  Jeremy commented that he has never heard Deeds talk so much before, I guess the morphine lowered the social anxiety he gets around strangers.

After finally getting some melatonin, and more pain killers he FINALLY just dozed off to sleep with his trusty sock monkey, sock monkey pillow, blankie and a new teddy bear and mouse stuffies from the hospitals.  He is still tossing and turning, and randomly opening his eyes but I’m hoping his little body can get some rest.  Before tomorrow when he has to start to do the cleanings without the morphine in his system.  Ironically YESTERDAY we sent the iPod touch into to see if they can repair it, and he has asked for it over and over.  Who would have known.

The doctors are optimistic that he will be able to go home by Tuesday but will require a lot of follow up and home care during the healing.,  He will not be starting school as planned (obviously).  There is also a high possibility of scaring on his face.  Right now his left eye is swollen shut but hopefully it’ll go down a bit by tomorrow…  I know I should be trying to sleep in this little chair but I think I still have too much adrenaline going through me, so I figured it would be therapeutic to shot a blog off before tomorrow.

About these ads

About Bobbie

I am a PPCM survivor, full-time nursing student, special needs mom, massage therapist, and totally awesome wife. Welcome to our crazy-wonderful version of normal.

Posted on January 17, 2011, in Hospital. Bookmark the permalink. 18 Comments.

  1. This same thing happened to my wife’s sister when she was little. She pulled a pot of boiling water onto herself. She is now 34 and has a family of her own but I can only imagine the panic my mother in law must have felt and now you are in the same situation :(

    I’m very very sorry to hear this happened. I couldn’t imagine going through it myself… I truly really hope that he makes a good, quick recovery and forgets this whole thing ever happened.

  2. I am so thankful that Jeremy is so calm in an emergency and knows what to do…good thing he took all those first aid classes in college. I cry for you as I know the fear a mother has when her child is hurt. I cry for little JD, he is such a special part of my heart and our family! Thank you for beig such amazing parents! God sent you both an awesome child.

  3. lana schuhmacher

    I am so very sorry. I am sitting here wiping away the tears. Who could ever know when something like this will happen. Be assured my family will keep yours in our hearts and prayers. Sending some healing vibes your way.

  4. I am so sorry you are going through such a scary time. I hope for a speedy recovery. You two are amazing parents with all you do and my heart is breaking for you right now going through this. Please keep us updated. You are in my thoughts.

  5. I agree that it’s amazing how calm and “into action” Jeremy was. What a difference that must have made. I’m praying and wishing for a speedy recovery for your baby Deeds.
    So interesting that you found Deeds to be so chatty when his social anxiety was mitigated. That really is quite an adventure he’s had!

  6. I came here via twitter. I am so sorry this awful accident happened to your son. Please know a family in Delaware is keeping him (and your family) in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing a speedy recovery.

  7. I am so glad to hear that, relatively speaking, JD is dong okay. When I read Andrea’s status on facebook my heart stopped. I have had first hand experience with Life Flight with 2 of my children and as fantastic as the crew is, I am glad they could take him by ambulance and you could be with him.

    I have also spent 3 days in the U of U Burn Unit with my daughter and can tell you they are the best around. Next to the NICU it is probably the hardest unit to be in emotionally. I can still clearly remember the cries of the other patients while having their procedures. When she was there 3 years ago there was the nicest gentleman who would bring his Newfoundland dog in to visit with those who were well enough. Chelli loves animals and this was very therapeutic for her.

    I know how hard it is and want you to know you and your family are in my thoughts, heart and prayers.

  8. My heart goes out to you. Keeping your family in our thoughts.

  9. Oh my. We will pray for you guys. I hope he will get through this with out to many problems.

  10. I’m so sorry you are going through this. My son pulled a curling iron onto his face when he was 9 months old and it was horrible to look at. He is 6 now and no one else can see the scar except for me and then only when I look really closely. It was 2nd deg and 3rd deg – so I hope a similar outcome for you…

  11. Turning for a second happens to many of us. I’m glad that Jeremy had it within him to know exactly what to do…both of you. It sounds like JD got good care very quickly. So happy to know the potential of a quicker recovery is in his future.

    My thoughts will be with your family.

  12. Learned about you from other tweets and read this beautifully written but very scary story. It’s strange how things can drastically change in the blink of an eye. My prayers are with you. I’m hoping Deeds comes home to a wonderful dog waiting to help him!!

  13. I also had tears in my eyes reading this. Living with autism is such a challenge… to deal with this unfortunate accident… just SO unfair. My heart is with you guys.

  14. you pooooor kids….hang in there…tell daddy its not his fault… and we will be praying for you alll…
    sb & alice

  15. Hi, read about Deeds’ accident on another blog. Glad he is ok and hope there aren’t scars on his beautiful face. Your family is in my thoughts.

  16. Poor lil guy. I am so, so sorry all of you have had to go through such a scary & painful experience, & I’m sending all my love & prayers for his easy recovery.

    Much love & light to the beautiful lil boy & his mom & dad.

  17. So glad I found your blog! I am soooo sorry!! I have wanted to donate for you and not known where to go. I will let people know about this, take care! We love you guys, prayers for you. :)

  1. Pingback: Time to Party « A Dog 4 Deeds

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 767 other followers

%d bloggers like this: